Fitzrovia listed building extension
8th Oct 2017
Architecture for London has completed a deep remodelling and extension of a listed building in Fitzrovia, originally built in 1798. The renovated Georgian house carefully balances the retained historic fabric in the original main house with modern living spaces to the rear.
A large three storey rear extension was created, with generous terrace space, a new master bedroom suite, glazed reading room, new bathrooms and bespoke kitchen. The basement level was lowered to provide comfortable floor to ceiling heights throughout.
View Architecture for London’s portfolio of recent projects.
Careful demolition was required due to attached neighbouring properties on all sides. The original house was sensitively refurbished retaining the historic features including the cornice, parquet floor, fireplaces, doors, sash windows and shutters in the double reception room. The master bedroom suite includes a private study and dressing areas, en-suite shower room, feature bath, walk in wardrobe and light filled courtyard. Naturally textured materials such as Yorkstone and Carrera marble are complimented by moments of colour, with blues in the kitchen and greens in the living space.
A detail orientated approach to this project allowed for historic elements lost under layers of paint to be brought back to life. Even the cast iron railings were stripped to reveal the original detail. These original elements are enhanced by a strong material based approach to the contemporary rear works.
Location: Conway Street, Fitzrovia W1
Project Architect: Matt McKenna